Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Payoff of Living Suits the Cost of Death

Back laced, demographically pleasing violence
   Washes all thought to the gutter,
   Where it sits, pockmarked and painless,
   While I attempt to process the news that
   I'm stuck on the day the apocalypse took all feeling
   From my fingertips and left a gray stripe on my forearm
   Which burns whenever touched,
   Reminding me of the graceless butterflies who hijack my feet
   Thinking to fly, but run instead
   Over shattered bullet shells, tripping at every possible moment,
   Eroding the skin from my feet, setting all the insects free
   To hurt me again.
Twittering birds often shove the talent I had hoped for
   Between the sticks of their nest,
   Intertwining my dreams and beliefs with mud
   For the good of their children.
   Even if it leaves me devoid of flame and water.

I speak too much when no one is     
listening.    

No comments:

Post a Comment